Rules of thumb??

Old 01-01-05, 03:45 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Rules of thumb??

Please help...I'm installing 18" x 18" tiles in my master bath and need to know if there is any rule of thumb regarding the size of the grout joints? Is 1/8" okay or should they be larger? This is the last thing I need information for so I can get tiling. Thanks!

Old 01-01-05, 04:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would use a 3/16" to 1/4" grout line and fill it with sanded grout, if your tile has chiseled edges. The sizing can be off between some tiles and you can hide that by making the adjustment in the grout line. If your tile is rectified, that is the edge has a small chamfer like marble and granite tile, it can be set with a 1/8" grout line. Those tile are much more uniform when it comes to sizing. In that case use unsanded grout.
Be sure to use a trowel with a 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep notch so you get good coverage for the thinset. I personally use 1/4" by 1/2" notch but they are harder to find.

Old 01-01-05, 04:39 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
If the tile are pretty consistant is size then the 1/8 inch joint would be o.k.What are these tile made of anyway?Pocelain ,tile or marble?If marble then go with a 1/16 joint and unsanded grout if tile or pocelain then use 1/8 joint and sanded grout,you could go up to 1/4 on the joint size but i personally don't care for the bigger joint,with tile the smaller the better,but some you have to use the bigger joints cause of the inconsistancy of the tile sizes.Anything else let us know

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: