Bathroom rebuild- walls or floor first?

Old 01-10-05, 09:12 AM
Edge
Visiting Guest
Bathroom rebuild- walls or floor first?

I have a small second floor half bath, aproximately 4' x 7'. There was previous water damage from a leaking toilet and a leaking window. The PO just decided to nail 1/4" plywood over the plaster walls and add also did a shoddy job repairing the floor/subfloor damage. I'm planning on ripping out the damaged-beyond-repair walls and floor, exposing the room to the joists and studs.

I'll be replacing the walls with gypsum lathe and a plaster finish coat. For the floor, I'm planning a double layer of 5/8" plywood, 1/2" cement backer board, and then tile. I'm thinking I should install the two sheets of plywood first, then the walls, then the cement board, and tile.

Does this sound reasonable, or should I do the install in a different order?

Old 01-10-05, 12:20 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the subfloor you are installing will need blocking to support the cut edge by the wall. Double layer 5/8 ply and 1/2" backer withtile will make for a floor that is darn close to 2" thick--thats alot of height to make up for the toilet flange. 3/4" ply with 1/3" bcker is acceptable for most tile installations, unless you want to use stone. Are you replacing an old mud bed tile installation? (jsut trying to figure out the double plywood layer) Anyway, floors, then walls, then backer with 1/4" gap around the perimeter, or at least floors, with 1/4" gap betweent he framing and the second layer of ply and backer then walls, it's up to you, but I prefer to put the backer in last, just so it doesn't get messed up from drywall finishing and what ever els could get on it during renovation that could inhibit the thinset bond.

Old 01-10-05, 01:35 PM
Edge
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. The existing floor exists of 2x8 (exact) joists; some random 1x4's nailed on top; next 3/4" plywood; lastly, tile set in some sort of white mastic. I'm actually wondering how the previous owners didn't fall through the floor...

The flange height is not a huge issue, as I might have to have to replace it anyway. That's another ordeal all-together (cast iron; it's cracked on one side, and warped on the other).

If I don't replace the flange, I assume that when I put in the plywood and the backer board, that I should cut it into two pieces, in order to fit closely around the toilet drain, under the flange (as opposed to cutting one piece with a hole large enough to allow the entire flange fit through the hole)? If I do repalce the flange, I'll would suspect it be best to do that after I set the floor.

Old 01-10-05, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to kick this on up to the Tile forum, I think the folks up there will be best able to advise you from here on, but I think you're on the right track. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: