Preping cement floor for tile

Old 01-18-05, 09:57 AM
phil mcc
Visiting Guest
Preping cement floor for tile

I am planning on putting tile down on the cement floor in my basement bath. It is not level and am planning on using a self-leveling cement. The floor is smooth and the cement directions recommend to rough-up or scarrify the surface for better adhesion. How or what should I use to do this? Thanks.

Old 01-18-05, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cement has to be free of paint or sealer for the SLC to bond properly. Some SLC products need a primer put down first so check the bag for directions. You wont need to rough it up if you put the primer down.

Old 01-20-05, 06:18 AM
phil mcc
Visiting Guest
preping cement floor

Thanks for the response. The SLC I am going to use does requires a primer so I will use it as directed. The cement floor is plain and has no paint or coatings but it probably needs to be cleaned. Any recommendations on what I should use to clean it before I put down the primer? Thanks.

Old 01-20-05, 07:09 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water and a metal brush on a handle, suck up the dirty water with a shop vac with a rubber sqeegee, maybe a little vinegar if needed, rinse and suck up again, Tsp in extreme cases. As long as the slab will absorb water then it is not sealed. If it doesn't absorb water then it will need to be hit iwth a grinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: