Uh oh...aesbetos found?

Old 01-26-05, 08:17 PM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Uh oh...aesbetos found?

I have these really ugly red tiles in my back entranceway. I pulled them up in pretty much one sheet (I have no idea what they were made of...linoleum?). Anyways, underneath is a black fibrous material (it's not wood, I have no idea what it is).

Uh oh. While I realize that no one can tell me if this is aebestos (and whether or not it's even dangerous in this state), is it possible to use self adhesive tiles directly over this surface and basically seal the whole thing back up?

Old 01-26-05, 09:38 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
float it out with Ardex sd-f . Use a 1/8" notched trowel to apply the first coat. And a smooth trowel to apply the second coat after the first coat is dry. Tile will stick to it fine.

Old 01-28-05, 05:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Don't freak out too much over the possibility that you have asbestos. It is not the instant death the news media likes to report. Smoking, fast food and driving down the interstate pose a greater threat to your health.

It is generally safer to just cover asbestos where it is instead of trying to remove it. Just remember it's the dust that is harmfull, so don't use your household vacuum for cleanup. A wet/damp mop is better.

Old 01-31-05, 10:28 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asbestos

While I avoid asbestos & would call a professional to have it removed....

My 84 yr old dad (who is not a smoker) tells me that 40-50 years ago he made extra money by coming in every weekend and sweeping the asbestos dust from the rafters at a local company.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: