Shower grout

Old 01-30-05, 10:47 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower grout

I'm tired. I have re-grouted my tile shower twice within 3 weeks. The first time was with a premix that just didn't work. Just this past week I regrouted with TEC Accucolor Premium Unsanded grout, http://www.tecspecialty.com/product_....asp?prodId=40. Job looks great. Now the frustrating thing, it chaulky, soft, washes off and gets soft when wet. What is going on here? I am tired of doing this. I should be able to just pick up a box\bag of grout, mix it, apply per directions. What is the secrete for grouting shower walls that I am not getting told?

Help please!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-05, 08:29 AM
T
Well, it could be a bunch of reasons. Could be the substrate was wet and caused too much moisture in the grout, mixed too thin, the old premixed grout wasn't removed all the way, the bag could have been old and the portland or powdered latex could have started to go off in the package, the shower was used too soon after grouting (how many days did you wait?), the water you used was too cold slowing the curing too much, the water was too hot, speeding up the curing to much, if the grout started to get stiff and you mixed more water into it to make it more workable etc, etc. POst back with some specifics. Maybe you have a claim against the manufacturer. If you still have the container, there should be a manufacture date on it. I won't ever touch a thinset or grout that is more than a year old.

Old 01-31-05, 09:24 AM
M
I think I just forgot to seal it. I put on a sealer yesterday and I think that will do the trick. Wasn't aware that sealer was necessary.

Thanks

Old 01-31-05, 10:54 AM
T
I never stated any thing about a sealer and that won't fix the problem. There is something wrong with your grout.

Old 01-31-05, 11:05 AM
M
so, you are telling me that the grout installed in the shower should dry hard and not chaulky and have a tendency to wash? So, normally the grout should dry hard and water proof and not wash and be soft or chaulky?

Old 01-31-05, 11:30 AM
T
Yes!! (This is you as you read this ) The grout is not actually water proof, but justlike the thinset it is unaffected by water and should dry rock solid, not chalky, and should not soften when wet.

Old 01-31-05, 11:48 AM
M
Pretty much , yes. Sucks. One piece fiberglass shower, i'm done with this.