High spot on concrete floor and other questions

Old 02-01-05, 12:30 AM
napalm747
Visiting Guest
High spot on concrete floor and other questions

I am a newby to this forum and also to tiling. I recently tore out a linoleum floor in my 4X6ft half bath and want to tile it. There seems to be a high spot running from the toilet flange to the side of the wall. It is only about 1/8inch high. I have read in other threads that I should grind it down. How exactly do I do that and what equipment do I need? Also how close to the toilet flange should a put the tile? How much space? Also I seem to have gotten up most of the adhesive but still have a very thin amount of glue on the concrete. Is it ok to put thinset down over this adhesive or do I have to get up 100% of it? If so what equipment do I need to do it? Any help for someone learning a lot and with a lot of questions would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-01-05, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as grinding down the high spot, you can accomplish this the easiest with a 4.5" right angle grinder and a diamond blade ( both sold at HD for under $100 total). It will create a LOT of dust so wear appropriate eye and mouth protection. If someone can hold the nozzle of a shop vac alongside the grinder as you go it will help a lot.
If you are not into that, I have seen a rubbing brick that masons use. Try a concrete yard that sells supplies to masons.
As far as the flange goes cut as close as you can. That grinder I mentioned above is what I use every time I need to cut a circular opening in tile for the flange. I bought a flange ring and use it as my template. The only other way is to cut it with a wet saw.
You want to get the glue off the floor. The stain of the glue can remain. Try a 4" wallpaper scraper and soften up the glue with very hot water. Dont use chemicals or solvents as they tend to remain in the concrete and can inhibit the bond of the thinset. When you get around to setting the tile use a good quality modified thinset. What size tile are you using?

Old 02-01-05, 08:49 PM
napalm747
Visiting Guest
I am looking at using 12X12inch tile. One thing that I have already done is use a glue remover on the concrete to get rid of the glue. Having done this what should I do to prevent it from staying on the concrete and interfering with the thinset?

Old 02-01-05, 08:52 PM
napalm747
Visiting Guest
O by the way I did get a rubbing brick yesterday and have been trying to "sand" down the high spot. After 15 min. of back breaking work it hasn't seemed to have gone down very much if any. I think I just need to keep at it. Also I was wondering what is the best way to look for low spots on the concrete? I have a 3ft level. Should I get a longer one? Thanks a lot for the information and help.

Old 02-02-05, 06:05 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A string or chalk line will do the job too. Just pull it tight on both ends and you'll see which spots are low.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: