Soundproofing an apartment before laying porcelain tile.

Old 02-01-05, 09:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Soundproofing an apartment before laying porcelain tile.

I am replacing an old rug with new porcelain tiles. The floor is pure concrete and it is an apartment on the second floor that requires Soundproofing.

My contractors purchased the following, however, it does not look like soundproofing to me. It was my impression that soundproofing was like "cork" or cork looking. However, this is a 1/4" of an inch think and its glued on one side and the other looks like what gauze looks like.

He purchased the following:

12" x 75' Roll Antifracture Membrane Protecto;

36" x 75' (225 SF) Roll Sound Control 4 Rol & Antifracture Membrane Protecto;

12"x 25' Kit Antifracture Membrane Protector.

Can any one let me know if this is soundproofing? Does it work. My county guidelines require the soundproofing to be 1/4 of an inch but as I said I thought it looked like Cork.

Old 02-02-05, 06:09 AM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did some tile work in Florida on tri-plexes. And yes, it was that cork looking membrane that I layed on the floor and then put the ceramics on top of it. Don't know what code is for your place but that what was used there.
Old 02-02-05, 08:28 AM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,083
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it is effective sound control. The company is Protecto Wrap. Personally, I've never used it, but looking it up, it has similar ratings to Noble SIS which I have used. I don't know if you have a concrete floor or a lightweight gypsum floor. If you have an exposed area of cement and can scratch it easily then it is a gypcrete type of floor, very common in apartments and condos for soundproofing. I don't know if it's rated for over gypcrete floors so if you do have gypcrete, call Protecto @ (800) 759-9727 for specific ratings for over gypcrete. Noble SIS is rated for over gypcrete, just incase you need to switch products.
Old 02-03-05, 09:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks for all the help. It is called Protecto Wrap .My county requires (miami-dade county) STC of 50 and IIC of 48 .

I dont know what that means.

But we bought the one that is

IIC 67
STC 55.

Am guessing this is a lot better.. ???????????????????????

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: