Filling gaps between Durock and old drywall

Old 02-03-05, 08:23 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Filling gaps between Durock and old drywall

HI! Thanks so much for your help! What a great site!

I did as you suggested and tore out the greenboard around my tub while I was removing the tiles (it was huge fun!). Now my husband and I have cut and installed the Durock. Because of limited working space, we needed to cut the cement board with a little more leeway than I would have liked. However, my husband would have thrown the whole mess in the tub and stomped on it if we hadn't made it fit a little easier. (He hates it when I do projects.) Anyway, I'm ready to tape the joints but my question is this: Around the top and down one side of the tub surround there is about 1/4" gap between the cement board and the old drywall. Can this large a gap be filled with thinset? Also, do I put the tape on first and then fill or try to fill it some first? Also, in taping drywall you have to spread the compound on three times, but do I have to spread the thinset on three times? And do I use the regular thinset consistency or thicker/thinner?

Thanks.

I hope to do this tomorrow.

Tina

Old 02-04-05, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
I would fill the gap with drywall coumpound the used a fiberglass tape to cover it up. when its dried applied more coumpound over it to finish it off.
let dry and sand a little.
then applied thinset and tile

cheers

pg

Old 02-04-05, 09:40 PM
D
If your tile will eventually cover up the joint (I imagine it will) then just use thinset. If you are not going to run the tile over the gap then you'll want to use the drywall mud. Use thinset at the regular or a little thick to push into the gap first then put the tape on and thinset again.
Good luck and enjoy the shower
Bryan

Old 02-05-05, 06:19 AM
D
Use thinset and fiberclass tape at the drywall joint. Drywall compound is fine in a dry area. In a wet area it will get soft, over and over again. In the corners ust thinset and fiberglass tape too. one coat is good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: