Ceramic Tile Walls

Old 02-04-05, 09:45 AM
Harold Rears
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Ceramic Tile Walls

We have tile walls in our bathroom. We had a bath company come and place a surround around the tub area. Now we would like to cover up the old tiles on the wall. Any ideas on what we can cover the tiles with. Thanks

Harold

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corian or Formica 2000 or any similar hard surface product.

Old 02-05-05, 10:39 AM
Rocknroll
Visiting Guest
Having tried to do this using formica over the tiles, it looked like poo. Because of the tile, it wann't level or flat. The tiles, not being level or flat, went unnoticed until I put up the formica. I removed the formica, removed the tiles, skim-coated the surface with plaster, sanded until my lungs were white, sealed and painted. It came out perfect.

If you don't want to remove the tiles, you might consider applying a layer of blue-board over the tiles, using contractor adhesive (comes in tubes for the caulking guns), tape joints then apply whatever you want. Usually the tubs have a lip, and are designed to be put in first with sheetrock over the lip so water runs down the wall and into the tub, not behind it. Unless you have a Japanese-style bathroom where the floor is actuall the tub, and has its own drain.

Rock.