Which thinset should I use?

Old 02-04-05, 12:19 PM
sac3591
Visiting Guest
Question Which thinset should I use?

I'm about to begin installing a porcelain tile over concrete. The surface was originally vinyl covered. I removed the vinyl and scraped up the glue with a scraper. We now have a smooth clean surface ready to accept the tile.

I'm now concerned if I purchased the right thinset. I purchased the Versabond Fortified Thinset Mortar in the 50 lb bags that cost approx. $16/bag from Home Depot. After speaking to a salesman in a tile store, not Home Depot, I'm beginning to wonder whether or not this thinset will work in this application. My first instinct is to believe he was doing everything in his power to dissuade me from doing this myself (they are also installers). From telling me that I should be careful which thinset to use (they use a brand other than Versabond), that I'm going to have a very difficult time sawing through porcelain tile with anything less than a professional wet saw such as the ones you can rent from Home Depot, etc., etc. According to the instructions on the thinset bag I purchased, it is recommended for use with porcelain tile.

Should I take what this salesperson told me as truth? Any imput would be appreciated!

Old 02-04-05, 12:32 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versabond has a good line of products, we use them alot due to easy access. Most of what you heard was to scare you out of doing it yourself.

Old 02-04-05, 12:45 PM
sac3591
Visiting Guest
Thanks Daniel for putting my mind at ease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: