Keeping tile warm?

Old 02-07-05, 10:17 AM
ChuckII
Visiting Guest
Keeping tile warm?

I am laying ceramic tile over a concrete pad in my recently remodeled sunroom. I have looked at radiant heat underlayment but don't want to spend that kind of money to keep the tile warm. If I use some exterior grade plywood or OSB with an underlayment under that will it help to stop the cold transfer from the concrete to the tile?

Last edited by ChuckII; 02-07-05 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-05, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, you cant put plywood onto the floor and then tile. You could put sleepers under the plywood but I imagine that would raise your floor too high. A crack isolation membrane(about1/8" thick) would help a little with the cold and be great insurance against future cracks in the slab transferring up into the tile. Examples would be Noble Company and Ditra by Schluter. Did you look at the electric floor warming mats that go under the tile, like SunTouch and Warmly Yours?

Old 02-08-05, 05:08 AM
ChuckII
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tileguybob

I did look into the warmers as well but it would double the cost of doing the floor (15 x 20 room) and I'm trying to finish up without blowing the budget we set for the room. I appreciate your input and thanks for saving me from making a mistake! I'll check out the crack membrane. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: