laying floor tile...(Merged Posts)

Old 02-08-05, 10:36 AM
mikeymike
Visiting Guest
laying floor tile...i understand the concept of laying tile as i have done several

backsplashes and they look great. i have never done a floor. laying the tile is the same concept but my question has to do with the underlayment. should i use durock or the hardy board and what is preferred roofing nails or screws?

Old 02-08-05, 12:01 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your question is kind of confusing..........What's on the floor now ? Concrete or plywood ? If it's plywood, I would screw the floor down, sand down the joints, and then lay some wire lathe and staple the staples down with a compressor. Then lay a thin coat of cement over top of it with a straight edged trowel........The next day, you're ready for tiles.

If it's on concrete, level the floor with a self leveling cement (if needed), and then the next day you're ready for tiles.

Last edited by future; 02-08-05 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-05, 01:03 PM
T
The method described is known as the scratch coat method. It is regionally used, seen most often in New Jersey, Chicago, and Toronto. While Future may have had success with installing in that manner, it has failed in every independent test by industry organizations and is not an approved method by any ceramic trade organization. Diamond lathe should only be used for true mud jobs of 1 1/4" of dry pack on a floor or for reinforcement of shower curbs and preslope beds. It can be used to float walls as well with a mortar bed, but don't staple it down and skim coat it with thinset. Details, details, details. What is there now, how many layers, how thick, joist size, spacing and spans, and for choosing an underlayment, is there any height concerns?

Old 02-08-05, 01:38 PM
mikeymike
Visiting Guest
sorry guys i was too vague. the house is new construction

with joists 16" on center. plywood substrate. i have seen durok and the hardy board used but do not know to use nails or screws. the hardy board looks pretty helpful since it has dimpled impressins to place each nail/screw. no height issues or other hurdles.

Foums Monitors Note:
Multiple single posts have been combined into this single thread.
Doing so keeps all the posts on this single question in one thread.
Which makes following along easier, for all concerned parties.
Kindly use the reply button to continue this question to it's completion.

Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.
Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-08-05 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Merged Multiple Posts Into A Single Thread
Old 02-08-05, 03:46 PM
T
Are your joists 2x's or engineered truss or tji's? What size? How long do the span from support to support as measured from underneath? What is used for your subfloor? How thick? Time for the tale of the tape. What room(s)? Then we will proced to underlayments. Ceramic or stone?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: