Granite Kitchen Counter?

Old 02-17-05, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite Kitchen Counter?

I was told that my granite kitchen counter can be cleaned with just a mild soap and water. Is there anything else or better that I can use?

Also, what can I clean it with to give it that high shine?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 03:38 PM
The preferred recommendation is to use products labeled specifically for natural stone products, but neutral soap, mild soap, or dishwashing liquid can be used. Use soft cloth, rinse and dry. Granite needs to be kept sealed with sealer for natural stone (once every year or two) because it is porous and tends to absorb oily stains. The high shine on granite is achieved by the fabricator's polishing equipment. Sheen can be maintained with stone polish. Natural stone care products may be available at your local stone fabricator's shop or home center. Products are available online.

Old 02-18-05, 05:56 AM
jimhudson
Visiting Guest
Enjoy your granite counter. It is quite possible that if your job was installed recently you have a resinated slab. These are granite slabs that have been, been heated, had resin applied to the surface, then ground off and polished leaving only resin in the pits and fissures.

I am sure the companies that sell chemicals would love you to seal your counters every six months....you should test it before you seal. Take some lemon juice and make a small puddle...if the stone starts to darken...you should apply sealer. Some stone NEVER needs a sealer.

To keep it looking great...try this...after you clean with soap & water...buff dry...take some pledge (gads I said it) and applly some to a rag (tiny amount) and buff a couple feet at time. mmmmmbutter it will feel sooo good and nothing in pledge will harm granite.

Good Luck
jim

Last edited by Carpets Done Wright; 02-18-05 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 10:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The best way to clean natural stone is with a mild soap and warm water. If you try any other soaps or sprays, try them in an inconspicuous spot to make sure they will not stain the stone.

Regards,

Jackie Abbott

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-16-08 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Advertising link removed