Best fasteners for waterproof liner

Old 02-28-05, 03:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best fasteners for waterproof liner

What is the best fastener for the waterproof shower surround in a ceramic tile shower? Seems like a galvanized roof nail with a rubber washer to keep the water from getting past the plastic liner but is there something better?

Old 02-28-05, 04:45 PM
Keep all nails a few inches above where the tiled shower floor will be. The mud in the pan will keep the liner in place below that. You can use a galvanized roofing nail. The liner wont move once the mud is set in place.

Old 02-28-05, 05:14 PM
T
Probably use wonderboard

Five questions.

Question 1. I will use Wonderboard on the walls and won't the screws allow leaks into the studs?

Question 2. I plan to float the preslope on my house's concrete foundation and then tack the shower pan liner up pretty high, maybe 18 inches or so behind the plastic wall liner. Is 18 inches too high or not high enough?

Question 3. Is it recommended to use galvanized roofing nails that come with rubber washers on both the shower pan liner and the surrrond liner?

Question 4. I was planning on nailing the surround liner only near the top of the studs. And then use the nail that holds the top of pan liner to also hold the bottom of the surround liner. Will this provide enough support for the liners?

Question 5. Why use nails at all? Wouldn't it be better to glue the liners to the studs to keep the holes to a minimum?

Old 03-01-05, 08:52 AM
1.) Put up the vapor retarder with a few staples just to hold it in place. If you want to, you could paint a dab of liquid waterproof (like Redgard) over the staples. Put up the wonderbooard and put the waterproofing dabs over the heads of the nails. Fill gaps between boards in the corners with silicon caulk Tape the corners and seams when you set the tile and embed in modified thinset which you will also use to set the tile.
2.) Only need to go up the walls 10 - 12" with the pan liner. If you have to fold in the corners it may cause a bulge in the wonderboard down low. One way to eliminate that is to put furring strips up on the studs of the shower walls before the vapor retarder so the walls can overlap the pan liner without that bulge.
3.) I would not advise using the washers. They will cause bumps in wall and the tile will not sit flat.
4.) Correct, nail it only near the top. You could use the same nail for both liners where they overlap. The wall board will hold everything in place, just dont nail the wall board below the line where the liner nails are set.
5.) some glues might interact with the plastics in the liner and cause it to disintegrate.

Old 03-01-05, 04:32 PM
T
Thank you Tileguybob!

Wow! I wasn't sure if I would get good answers to all those questions, but Tileguybob nailed each one. Thanks Tileguybob!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: