Ceramic Tile on Basement Concrete

Old 03-09-05, 09:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile on Basement Concrete

I have built a bathroom in the basement and want to install 4" ceramic tile on the floor which is the concrete slab. Problem is it is not perfectly level. Is adding a concrete leveler easy to do and what is the best way to screed that to make sure it's level? Any tips?

Also, will I need a backerboard, there are a few small cracks in my concrete.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 09:55 AM
You dont need to run a screed over it. By name it is called Self Leveling Cement. At the most you may need to help it into a corner or a small spot. You will need a primer that goes down first, then mix the SLC in a 5 gallon bucket with water using a slow speed drill with an egg beater looking attachment. Mix it a little looser than pancake batter and quickly pour it over the floor. You can do multiple pours to the height needed, just let the first layer set up. It will run into holes and under the wallboard, you could use weatherstripping glued down to act as a dam. I put a thick bead of caulk on the rim of a plastic paint bucket then flip it over and cover the toilet flange so the SLC doesnt engulf it or run out around the waste pipe. The flange is usually 7" diameter so get an 8" bucket.
How wide are the cracks? are they old or still active? Cant use backerboard over a concrete floor, may need a crack supression membrane, like Noble CIS. Is the floor painted or sealed, they pose a problem, need to be removed.

Old 03-09-05, 10:18 AM
R
great advice! The floor is 3 years old and I don't think the cracks are getting any worse. Where would I get a crack supression membrane? Is that something they sell at the big home centers? No paint or sealents, just the original concrete slab.

Old 03-09-05, 11:49 AM
Try www.noblecompany.com and look at the one called CIS or crack supression. I think Lowes sells one also but I am unfamilar with it. Dont think HD sells any.

Old 03-10-05, 12:56 PM
P
Shluter has one also. Depot may sell it.

DITRA Membrane