tile over plywood

Old 03-10-05, 07:48 PM
TinaSC
Visiting Guest
tile over plywood

we are totally new to tiling and plan to attempt to tile our kitchen backsplash area. There is plywood there now. Anything special we should know about tileing over this? Are there any good websites to go to learn how to do this, or is it pretty simple? What is the basic procedure for doing this?

Tina in SC

Old 03-11-05, 09:44 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a back splash, you can go right over sheet rock without worry. I'd pull the ply and install sheet rock in that area Or cement board then tile.

Old 03-11-05, 10:48 AM
TinaSC
Visiting Guest
I really want to know if we can tile over the plywood. Really dont want to spend any more than we have to if it will work ok. Does anyone know?

Old 03-13-05, 10:54 AM
lastresort
Visiting Guest
how thick?

how thick is the plywood? I have tiled over 5/8" plywood (2" mosiacs) with success but if the ply is thinner than that I would be concerned.

Old 03-13-05, 01:47 PM
K
Plywood changes size slightly (e.g. seasonally) with humidity; tile and grout don't, and can't flex to accommodate. So over time either the tile must shear off the backing, or (the usual) the grout joints must give. Then water wicks into the cracks and lives there, swelling the plywood, and so on.

I think the best solution, leaving the ply in place, is to staple on a backing of sheet metal, aluminum or thin galvanised steel. You can get this at a home centre roofing section, and cut it with scissors. Then riddle the surface with staples 3/8" or 1/2", if they stick out a bit that's good. A staple per inch should be sufficient. Any fibreglass mesh tape handy staple that on too.

I've used this kind of backing to repair around a bathtub, years ago, and it's good so far. This is also how fibreglass gets secured to wooden boats, so I'm not too worried.

Old 03-13-05, 07:02 PM
TinaSC
Visiting Guest
thanks for the tips

Hubby has decided we are going to tear off the plywood and just put drywall there. Thanks for the advice!

Tina in SC

Old 03-13-05, 08:30 PM
Good choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: