Grout sealing question

Old 03-26-05, 10:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout sealing question

First, I would like to say thank you to all who posted to some of my questions while I was doing my bathroom remodel. The bathroom came out amazing and the porcelain tile walls and floor look absolutely stunning. My wife says it is the best improvement project I have done yet!! Questions that I had, but never asked were answered simply by me taking time to read through these forums which have been priceless.

My question pertains to my shower grout and is twofold.

1) I used tile lab sealer and put two coats on the grout. It was about 2 to 3 weeks from the time I grouted to the time I sealed. We did not use the shower during that time because of other items I worked on in the bathroom.
I put a couple coats of sealer on but there are some grout lines now that stay "wetter" longer than others. Its just a few and are right in the area that receives the most water during the shower. Should I be concerned and seal this area again?

2) How often should I seal the shower grout? I was thinking 4-6 months. Too little or too much? What should I use to regularly clean the shower with?

Thank you in advance

TY163

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-05, 11:00 AM
T
That sealer doesn't lock out water which is why we harp everybody about specifics during the construction phase. Sealer is vapor emmisive. It lets water through, but blocks staining agents. Don't worry about the wetter looking spots, they are normal. Reseal ever 6 months to a year. Now move onto the next project to make your wife happy

Old 03-26-05, 11:21 AM
T
Thakns for the reply bri. You mentioned "that sealer" I find that interesting. Is there a sealer that actually blocks water too or no.

Old 03-28-05, 04:35 AM
T
Most sealers are penatrating sealers which have solids in a base, water or solvent that get carried into the grout and when the base evaporates, it leaves behind the solids which fill in most of the microscopic voids in the grout line. Water does not meed much space to be able to flow into or out of grout, but most staining objects have difficulty penetrating the spaces between the grout/solids. Acrylic sealers will block water and are most commonly used as grout colorants with pigments included in them to change/fix the color of the original grout. In a shower, water will find it's way to the substrate or pan and using an acrylic sealer makes it difficult for the water to find it's way out quick enough to prevent issues associated with stagnating and prolonged water exposure, such as mold and mildew. For a shower or bath enclosure, penetrating sealers like the one you used are best as they will allow the evaporation of water. For floors, you can use an acrylic sealer but they leave an obvious coating on the grout. In order to use an acrylic sealer over a penetrating sealer, the penetrating sealer would first need to be stripped.

Old 04-03-05, 07:04 AM
C
So what would be the sealant for a kitchen countertop? I'm really starting to regret building it because I can tell it's going to be a pain to keep clean. I would like to put a lot of sealant over the joints so that it's as sommth as the tile and cleaning it would be as easy!

Thanks!

Chuck