Caulk over sanded grout inbetween tub and tile?

Old 03-30-05, 05:39 PM
Phiznut
Visiting Guest
Caulk over sanded grout inbetween tub and tile?

Hello all. I've been reading these posts for a couple days now and have gotten a tremendous amount of inside info directly from professionals. And without the service call! What a great site.

Anywho, here's my question:

I installed new tile into my bathroom.... used subfloor, 'red cover' waterproofing... and sanded grout.

My fiance is moving in this weekend and if there's one thing I know about her is that she is very messy in the bathroom. I.E.: getting out of the shower immediately and drying off while standing on the floor.... leaving a puddle of water in her wake.

I want to protect the investment of the bathroom remodel (the reason for the red cover)... so do I, or should I caulk over the sanded grout that meshes the tile to the tub?? It's sealed really well... but again, it's either I waterproof the floor as much as possible or find another fiance. And the later just aint gonna happen.

Allright, that's the first post of many! Keep up the great work guys & gals. Thanks everybody!

Old 03-31-05, 05:21 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't have a grout saw, get one for about $5 and get the grout out of there. You don't want to grout up to any fixted objects, tubs, walls, toilet flanges, etc. These areas should be caulked only. Every fixed object in the room and every change in plane needs room for expansion and contraction. Filling these spots with grout prevents that. You can get aa color and texture matched caulk for just about every grout on the market. Most grouts will end up a tad lighter than the card color, so match the installed grout to the color card. You might need a different slightly lighter shade of caulk. And good luck with the planning, wedding and married life.

Old 03-31-05, 04:22 PM
Phiznut
Visiting Guest
Well that's not the news I wanted to hear. Live and learn I guess.

Would a Dremel cut the grout better??

m

Old 04-02-05, 06:55 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will work, but can damage the tile or tub if the tool slips. I find that a grout saw for a small area like that works best becuse in a tight area like that, you get much more control and by do I hate the dust that my rotozip spits up during any grout removal.

Old 04-04-05, 05:36 PM
Phiznut
Visiting Guest
Yup. I used my 4" grinder for about an inch and decided to use the grout saw.

Not too tough.

But I gotta share this past Friday night (I'll keep it short):

First off I'm moving the toilet out of the tub.... the tank lid was not secured and it fell.... chipping my new tile and ripping off my newly installed towel rack. Oh and it also completely bent/chipped my new vent.

No biggie..... I move on.

I put the wax ring on the new toilet... and the floor is raised so much that now the water supply line to the toilet is not long enough. Ugh. Pull and jimmy the thing to fit... I turn on the water and it's a full-on sprinkler going on underneath the kamode.

Cut some drywall out.... staighten out some of the fittings.... and after about a 1/2 hour of struggling with the thing.... it works with no leaks. I give a few flushes without incident, so I figure I can now tighten down the bolts from the toilet.

And yep, you guessed it. I tightened the nut too much and it pulled the bolt through the slot in the flange.

I guess I should of just stayed in bed that day!! Not a good day!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: