Slate questions

Old 04-01-05, 11:47 AM
acura280
Visiting Guest
Slate questions

I am planning on putting a 4'x4' area of 12"x12" slate in front of my basement to garage door.

1. I've read that bag thinset is better then the premixed I plan to use the bag mix. What is necessary: Do I use the trowel with the 1/2" notches and apply the thinset to the floor? Do I apply it to the floor and butter the back of the tile? Is the 1/4" notched trowel okay if I apply it to the floor and back butter the slate?

2. Do I seal the slate before grouting? Is it okay to use the thinset between the slate instead of grout?

3. I plan to have the carpet laid right up to the slate without a boarder. Is this smart? Will the edges of the slate peel and chip if I don't use a boarder?

4. It is a painted concrete basement floor and I plan to remove the paint with a wire brush. The slate will be 4'x4' in a corner infront of a door that leads to the garage.

Thanks,
M

Old 04-01-05, 03:07 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bagged thinset is the best. Use a 1/4" by 3/8" by 1/4" trowel or you can get by with a 1/4",1/4",1/4". If the concrete is flat then you should only have to butter the floor and set the tile into it.
I advise sealing the slate before you grout and then a couple times after you grout. Don't use thinset for grout.
You will be fine butting the carpet up to the slate. You don't need to run any type of border.
Have fun, a little 4x4 entry shouldn't be too hard.
Bryan

Old 04-02-05, 06:39 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With such large variations in slate thickness, the 1/4" x 3/8" is the minimum you will be able to get by with, especially if it's unguaged slate. Use the flat side of the trowel to scrape your thinset into the slab before combing through the thinset to get your trowel lines as well as flat troweling thinset onto the back of the tile. If the backs are dusty, you will want to wipe them with a slightly dampend sponge first. You don't want thinset bonding to the dust and not the stone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: