Marble Tile

Old 04-02-05, 08:24 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marble Tile

I have a home office that incurred water damage a few months ago and the carpet had to be removed. Now the floor is bare concrete.

I was just going to lay carpet tile and went looking in stores. When I went to Lowes 12 inch polished marble tiles caught my eye. Not only was it beautiful but it was much cheaper than I expected.

Now I am conflicted if I should lay marble or carpet tile. It all depends on the difficulty of laying marble. I am having trouble finding any info on the net about laying marble tile. So I have a few questions.

Is there any special adhesive or grout used in the application of marble?

When ever I see marble tile the grout lines are very narrow. What is the size of the grout line?

What is the durability?

Can I use a 7 inch wet saw to cut the 12 inch marble? Need a special blade for the marble?

Old 04-04-05, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use a white modified thinset and maintain a 1/16 or 1/8" grout line. I would go with the 1/8" because of the tile, cheap is in indication of something, could be the quality of the stone or the sizing when it was made at the factory. The bigger grout line will be more forgiving and wont look bad at all, in fact may look better if the tile are irregular in size.
The 7" blade will cut it. I would be concerned about durability under an office chair so maybe one of those plastic mats should be placed in front of your desk so the chair wheels dont mark up the marble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: