Need help with porcelain tiles outdoors

Old 04-02-05, 06:46 PM
wineguy
Visiting Guest
Need help with porcelain tiles outdoors

I have an outdoor bar and am putting porcelain tiles on the countertop. The tiles will be on plywood. I have had lots of advice and of course it is all conflicting. I live in Indiana so there will be temperature variations. How do I successfully lay this? I've been told to lay a wire mesh and place mortor over that. I've been told not to use the mesh and place in a super-flex mortar. I've been told to use cement board and also not top use cement board. Does anybody know what to do????

Old 04-04-05, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would put down the cement board in a bed of thinset over the plywood, nail it down with galvanized roofing nails then put a paint on waterproof membrane like Redgard, or one by Laticrete or one by Hydroment over the cement board and along the edges of the plywood to protect it from liquid spills and weather. Use a good modified thinset to set the tile. An epoxy grout like Spectralok, sold at Lowes, would also help minmizing any water penetration. The porcelain tiles wont absorb any liquid so that its what you need in freezing weather. The wire lathe and scratch coat is useless, dont go there!

Old 04-04-05, 08:04 PM
reglilly
Visiting Guest
Wouldn't there be an issue of moisture getting under the tile and freezing? I think if there's not slope to the horizontal surface for some drainage (1/4" per foot) there might be a problem. But, maybe not.

Reg

Old 04-07-05, 11:14 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THere should not be if the setting surface is waterproofed, in combination with a porcelain rated for exposure to freeze thaw and the elements which would be a water absorption rating of less than .5% in combination with an epoxy grout, the bar top should see years of intoxicating events. Just like with a roof line with a drip edge, you want to let the tile overhang the substrate just a bit so you don't have capilary action along the bottom edge of tile pulling water up to the underside of the substrate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: