Slate Tile Shower

Old 04-02-05, 08:46 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slate Tile Shower

If one were to install slate tile for shower walls, would one use thin set or a mastic to adhere the tiles to the wall? I plan to use Hardee Board or Durock in place of the sheet rock. Can someone explain the process of installing slate tiles on a wall? Is it different process than installing ceramic tile because of the slate tile weight?

Old 04-04-05, 03:30 PM
Always use a modified thinset when setting tiles in a wet area like a tub surround or shower area. The weight of the tile will cause them to sag on the wall so I put up a ledger board like a very straight 1x2 for the first full row of tile up from the floor or tub to rest on while the thinset dries. Use your level and draw a line with a black Sharpie around the walls and screw the board into the wall using the level line as your guide. Use spacers for support between the rows as you build up the wall.

Old 04-04-05, 06:49 PM
M
Considerations about slate in baths

I'd like to use slate for my bathroom also.
I've heard that it gets very slippery when wet.

Is this true?

Old 04-06-05, 05:51 PM
No more so than any other stone surface. It is the hydroplaning effect where a film of water gets betwen your feet and the tile, in the same way a car slides on wet pavement. Slate is very prevelent on outside patios with no disasterous effects.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: