Removing Cement Shower Base

Old 04-04-05, 10:43 AM
deetaber
Visiting Guest
Removing Cement Shower Base

HI,
I am trying to remove the cement shower base. It is a block of concrete 4' by 4'. I am clueless. I tried to just lift it out but it is obviously attached to the drain. I do not want to damage the pipes, but can not find an easy way to un-attach the cement from the drain. Am I missing something here? Do I rent a jack hammer and just break the base up? That seems like it will be a big mess in an already big mess! I think that if I could detach the drain, I could lift the cement block out. (with help of coarse). Any suggestions?
Thanks
PS: I should have you know that the rest of the bathroom has been removed, right down to the frame. It is the last part of demo!

Old 04-04-05, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break it up into smaller chunks, it will be easier to handle and remove, as well as getting it away from the drain. A demolition hammer from the tool rental store will have it up in 5 minutes or less. You could do it manually with a hand held sledge and a cold chisel. There will also be some sort of waterproof liner like a lead pan under the cement so that has to come out too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: