Hardibacker vs. Wonderboard/Durock

Old 11-20-01, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Lights are a poppin'

My light on my ceiling fan makes a popping sound like when a bulb burns out when I flip on the wall switch, but the light bulb does not burn out. I changed the bulb and it hasn't done this again, and also tried the bulb in a different light fixture and it has not done it there either should I have my wiring checked or could it have been a bad bulb?

Old 04-06-05, 09:23 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardibacker vs. Wonderboard/Durock

I used to apprentice for a tile contractor. He would only mud surfaces. 17 years later I am about to put in 1/2" Wonderboard or Durock for shower walls but then checked out Hardiboard. The Hardibacker and Ontario tile website have got me considering it but I want to know what this group thinks.

Hardibacker for shower walls, or stick with Wonderboard/Durock?

Old 04-06-05, 05:12 PM
All of them will perform the same when installed. No matter which one you choose you will need a vapor retarder mounted on the studs first because the cement boards are water resistant, meaning they will not deteriorate in water, but they are porous, so water can pass through and attack the wood studs. This could be a 4 to 6 mil plastic drop cloth or 15 lb felt roofing paper.
Hardibacker is my personal choice because I have electric shears to cut the board with minimal dust and I find it easier to work with. Others will tell you that they find one of the other boards the best, it is mostly personal choice.

Old 04-06-05, 05:23 PM
T
You have the shears??? You lucky Bas****!!!!!

Old 04-06-05, 05:24 PM
Two of them! I use a lot of Hardibacker
PS I found a place on the web that sells them for $239 if you are interested

Old 04-06-05, 05:28 PM
T
No advertising in forums!!! PM me please.

Old 04-06-05, 10:02 PM
D
How do the shears work on the half inch stuff, if they do? I've gotten to the point I do a lot more hardi than anything else and I hate trying to cut the half inch stuff. Do you guys screw, nail, or staple?
Have a good one
Bryan

Old 04-07-05, 04:09 PM
Thye SS424 model shears will blow right through the 1/2" Hardibacker. The manufacturer redeisgned the shears to accommodate the 1/2". On the floor I use galvanized roofing nails shot out of a pnuematic roofing nailer. On the walls I like to use screws.

Old 04-07-05, 05:58 PM
D
I gotta get a roofing nailer, I've been cheap too long. I think my finger has been smashed one to many times nailing by hand. I have probably lost more money this month alone nailing by hand then a nailer costs. You guys like Hitachi the best. All my hardwood tools are bostich but all the roofing guys seem to be using hitachi.
Later
Bryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: