Ceramic over outside patio

Old 04-06-05, 02:23 PM
Amateur101
Visiting Guest
Ceramic over outside patio

I've just extended my 8x12 patio to 16x18, now I would like to lay some ceramic tile. I've laid ceramic tile before, but only inside the house. Is there anything different I would have to do to lay it outside? Please advise, would like to do some entertaining this summer. Thanks!

Old 04-06-05, 02:56 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you live? Is there a freeze thaw cylce? How old is the new slab? It must be atleast 28 days old before setting tile on it. Do either slabs have cracks or saw cut joints or expansion gaps or sealers of any sort?

Old 04-06-05, 03:11 PM
Amateur101
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile over outside patio

I live in Slidell La, about 20 min. east of New Orleans. Pretty warm year round although it can become a little chilly a couple of days during the yr. The new slab was just poured, and there are no cracks or anything. I dont know what you mean when you say expansion gaps, however there is a slight space where the new slab connects to the old slab. I was thinking if at all possible to use those as a grout area. Please help. Thanks Oh yeah, no sealers.

Old 04-07-05, 11:08 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where old meets new, you will need to use that as a grout line, but do not grout it. It will need to be a soft joint, so fill it with a color/texture matched caulk in place of grout. Make certain your porcelain has a water absorption rating of .5% or less. I'm sure it's much warmer there than it's been here, but the temps from the time you start to set your tile until 72 hours after grouting should not fall below 50 deg. or there will be curing problems with your grout and thinset. Make sure you clean the old slab very well. One of the few times I will suggest diluted muratic acid to a diyer since it's outside. GLoves and eye protection, add the acid to water, not vice-versa. 10-20% solution should do the trick. It's strong enough if you see it bubbling on the cement. Rinse well and don't have any metal where the rinse water will go either. Use a full flex mortar and it it's in direct sunlight, see if you can shade the area where you are spreading your thinsetso it won't skin over as fast. With porcelain, it's a good idea to flat trowel the thinset to the back of the tile to get a really strong bond. Also, flat trowel the slab in the area where you set the tile before combing your lines intot he mortar. You want to ensure the mortar is well bonded to both the slab and the tile. Expansion gaps every 12' minimum, so that would be soft joints like your other one where the two slabs meet. Oh yeah, you said the slab was just poured so you must wait 28 days from the time the slab is poured until you even think about setting a tile on it unless you want the first time to be practice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: