Cultured Marble - Huge Grout Mistake - Help!!!

Old 04-08-05, 07:41 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cultured Marble - Huge Grout Mistake - Help!!!

We bought cultured white marble tiles for a backsplash in our kitchen. We have Ubatuba granite countertops.

We decided to go with dark brown grout for the grout color. We didn't realize the brown grout would change the color of the marble and that brown grout doesn't go with Ubatuba.

This was just installed. The marble looks like mud color and the brown grout reinforces the look.

Anyone have a suggestion of how to make the grout and marble look better and to go with the Ubatuba? Right at the moment I just want to rip the whole thing out. It looks so horrible.

Any way to save the install?

Old 04-09-05, 01:13 PM
Rip it out, sounds like the marble was stained. No sense in applying chemicals that most likely would mar the granite if it dripped down.
Try a tumbled marble next time, install it, seal it, grout it, in that order.

Old 04-09-05, 07:55 PM
B
Cultured Marble - Huge Grout Mistake - Help!!! Reply to Thread

Sorry . . . I meant white tumbled marble. Our installer didn't do your order of installation. We installed and then we grouted with a latte colored grout. We didn't seal the marble so the grout stained the marble.

Can we use an acid on it to lighten the grout and bring the marble back to its original color? We tried a haze remover and it slightly lightened the tile but then the dark latte colored grout stood out even more in the pits.

If we start from scratch we are $1000 thrown down the drain. If we could bring the tumbled marble back to off white and the grout to grey sand color . . . we probably would be happy.

Not sure though since our granite is shiny and tumbled marble is sort of rustic.

Old 04-10-05, 02:56 PM
D
Better out the price of tile than trying to use chemicals and being out the price of a granite countertop.

Old 04-10-05, 05:12 PM
B
White-wash Tumbled Marble?

Ok . . . you all convinced me . . . no acid and I guess I can live with the grout.

Can I white-wash the tumbled marble to tone down the beige? I liked the raw tumbled marble before we messed up.

If so . . . what white paint or masonry stain is safe for tumbled marble? I want to keep some of the pitting look.

BJ

Old 04-10-05, 06:43 PM
If you can cover the tops of the granite with plastic and towels so NOTHING gets through to the granite, try some SULFAMIC acid, you buy it in crystal form and mix it with water. It is a great cleaning agent on tile for the removal of grout build up, and haze. Not sure how it will react with tumbled marble so try a test piece first. A milder cleaning agent would be TSP, also mixed with water, and also try a test piece to make sure it doesnt do nasty things tot he marble. Above all, protect the granite.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: