Ceramic Tile and Carpeted Stairs

Old 04-11-05, 02:13 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile, Carpeted Stairs, and general questions.

I am going to lay a ceramic tile floor in my kitchen. And I have a few questions before starting.

The stairs to the basement are carpeted. What type of edging should I use to cover the tile and carpet? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

The kitchen is over a crawlspace, I will be removing atleast two layers of vinyl tile. How thick of a cement backer should I lay? 1/4" or 1/2"? And it is better to use screws or nails on the floor?

I am assuming I should do the tile under the stove and refrigeratior first, but how long should I wait before moving them back into place? Is there any secret to doing these spaces without having the tile crack once I move them back?

This is my second time doing a ceramic tile floor - the first was a bathroom that was on a concrete slab. This seems a more daunting mission since it is not on concrete and is a bigger area. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by leach9497; 04-11-05 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Needed to add some things
Old 04-11-05, 08:22 PM
D
First, let's make sure your floor will accept a ceramic installation. What is the size span and spacing of the floor joists? What is the primary decking material? How thick? Plywood? This is really where we need to start.

Old 04-12-05, 06:10 PM
L
Size = 1 1/2" x 9"
Span = 44"
Space = The spacing is not even. It ranges from 12 1/2" to 15"
The primary decking material is plywood, but I can not tell how thick it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: