New tiles over old

Old 04-12-05, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New tiles over old

The wall behind my woodstove is concrete block and covered with ceramic tile. I want to bolt a cerami-board over this and adhere new tiles to it.The rational being able to EASILY change it in the future. Don't even suggest taking the first tile layer off as I almost shook out my teeth in chiseling up the tiles from under the stove. I'm a potter by profession and will be making my own tiles and can customize to my hearts content. So, does this sound like a plan and what will I need for hardware ? Thanks, EZway

Old 04-12-05, 10:13 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There isn't any easy way to adhere a cement board to cement to begin with, let alone to do it through a tile coverd cment. Just use a modified thinset to bond new over the old. If you want it easy to remove later, just 5 spot each tile with 5 small dabs of thinset so when you want to change it, there is not as great a coating of thinset on the backs of the tiles to break through. It will also make it easier to ride the new tile over any variations in plane in the wall. Sounds like a really interesting project. I've always been envious of those who fire their own tile. Could you post pictures when you finish up?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: