Denz-Shield for Tiled Bathtub Wall

Old 04-14-05, 05:11 PM
kdnovak
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Denz-Shield for Tiled Bathtub Wall

Help! We're having the bathtub surround replaced by a professional. I was re-reading my info and they want to install Denz-Shield as the backer. I looked this up and it looks like it's a gypsum (spelling?) based product, not cement board. I thought I needed cement board for this area since there's a lot of moisture.

Can someone please advise me?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-05, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relax, as long as the Dens-Shield is properly installed it will work fine. I just hung some up in a tub surround the other day. If you tape the seams and corners with mesh tape and flash coat the tape with modified thinset, if you you cover the screws that get sunk too deep into the board with some caulk, and if you set your tile with modified thinset you will have a long lasting installation. Mastic on walls in wet areas will re-emulsify if it gets wet and the tile will fall to the floor.

Old 04-15-05, 07:20 PM
kdnovak
Visiting Guest
Can I put green board around the rest of the bathroom (that won't be tiled)?

It sounds like you need a perfect installation for the dens-shield for it to work? Or is it easy enough?

Old 04-15-05, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gray facing of the Dens Shield is the waterproofing part. If it gets punctured by setting a nail or screw to deep the caulk (or a liqiud waterproof membrane) will reseal the skin. All cement boards also need to be taped and flashed in the same manner. Other cement boards do not have the waterproof layer built in like Dens Shield so you need to put up a plastic drop cloth (4 mil thick over the studs first before installing the cement board. Cement board is water resistant, meaning it will not break down or degrade when wet, but it is not waterproof, it will allow water to pass through it.
Greenboard can be used in non wet areas, as can mastic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: