Mixing grout in smaller batches????

Old 04-24-05, 01:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mixing grout in smaller batches????

I have a question regarding mixing grout. I have replaced some tiles in my kitchen and am now getting ready to re-grout the tile. I have a box of Polyblend Non-Sanded grout and was getting ready to mix the box but need some help mixing a smaller batch.

The box comes with 4.5 kg or 10 lbs. The instructions say to mix 4.5 kg of grout to 1.4 L of water. I figured I really only need about 1/4 the box...so I did some math, but not sure if it checks out.

I figure 1/4 of grout is 1.125 kg and 1/4 the water is .35 liters or 350 ML. Since 1.125 kg = 39.68 oz..........here is what I plan on mixing....

39.68 OZ of grout to 350 ML of Water.........Does this sound corrrect??????

I really really appreciate any advice.....just dont want to screw it up.

bobathome

Old 04-24-05, 01:58 PM
A
Hi
Just put a a 1/4 of the box in a container and add some water gradually until you get the consistancy you want. You can't really mess it up this way. There really isn't an exact water/grout ratio.

Old 04-24-05, 02:17 PM
mchar
Visiting Guest
Measure? How high above sea level are you? What is your relative gumidy, your temp? Water temp? C'mon! Surely you will under mix the water amount to the point of very thick peanut butter, mix it very well, let it slake for 10 minutes, then add minute amounts of water , mixing well to that perfect consistency..and then - butter that baby !
Mark

Old 04-24-05, 05:09 PM
A
Actually, you shouldn't add water after you let it slake...but the point is..don't worry..it's only grout. The worse thing you can do it make it too wet..if you do, add some more powder. No worries.

Old 04-24-05, 07:38 PM
B
Thanks

Thanks for your answers about the grout/water mixing....I feel pretty stupid.....I was so worried about making the mixture correct that it didnt really hit me that I could just eye ball the mixture and go from there.

Thanks again!!!!

bobathome

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: