caulk all the way for granite tile?

Old 04-25-05, 08:21 AM
cskl
Visiting Guest
caulk all the way for granite tile?

I have ganite tiles installed on my fire place. I pushed them against each other as tight as possible.

My question is: Can I just use caulk to fill ALL the gaps? It is easier to find the dark color caulk than dark color grout. I don't see there would be much water problem near the fire place (unless the house is on fire, you know )

In a related question, Can I use the coloring powder for cement to change the color of the grout powder? It is really difficult to find the exact color grout as the tile. or there is some other readily available coloring material?

Thanks.

C.S.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you butted the tile together then you might as well use caulk because you wont be able to get enough grout packed into the lines to stay very long. It needs to get down between the tile to get the proper "bite and hold". Try a black one, it really wont be too noticeable anyway, being that small of an area.

Old 04-30-05, 06:11 PM
cskl
Visiting Guest
it turn out ok

I used the black caulk for countertop from HD, feels more like grout than caulk. Thanks for answering.

BTW the $58 wet saw from Lowes is enough for cutting granite, cheaper than renting.