Tile over Garage Floor

Old 05-17-05, 10:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile over Garage Floor

I'm considering ceramic tile over a converted garage stall. It's now a bonus room (finished walls, celing, insulated, heated, etc.). It had carpet but we tore it out. Two concerns I'd appreciate insight on.

1. the floor itself has about a 1" crack across the center of the stall. I suspect I should fill it and smooth it?

2. The floor isn't your smooth concrete you see in basements or newer garages. It's that "grainy" almost nubby like concrete. Alot of postings discuss the significance of a "flat" surface. Does this mean smooth?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-17-05, 11:20 AM
A
I'd be a lot more concerned about that 1 " crack then the rought surface of the cement. This may be a no go for ceramic with that big of a crack.

Old 05-17-05, 11:36 AM
M
woops

good catch...not 1" but 1/4". Might still be a problem per your message - anyone know?

Old 05-17-05, 03:13 PM
D
You will need some sort of crack isolation membrane.
When I was growing up we turned our garage into a dining room. We had room to put plastic down and a couple layers of plywood to solve our crack problem. It's been fifteen years and the floor is still good.
Good Luck
Bryan

Old 05-17-05, 03:16 PM
A
Is this crack a control joint?..or is it an actual crack in the cement?...also, is it straight?

Old 05-17-05, 05:34 PM
T
The crack also has to be even on both sides, if one side is slightly higher than the other, forget tiling this floor, there isn't a membrane that will solve that.

Answer the above question and we'll take it from there.

Old 05-18-05, 08:22 AM
M
thanks for the replies

Answers to questions....

is it control join or crack? Ans: Crack
Straight? Ans: No cuts across center of floor in a "s" like fashion.
Even on both sides? think so.

Thoughts now? I'm heading for carpet arn't I...that would not be great.

Old 05-18-05, 08:48 AM
A
If the crack has stopped moving, you could use a crack isolation memebrane like DITRA, but it doesn't do miracles. It will absorb a little movement, but won't hold the building together. Some sort of flooring the floats on top would be a safe bet.

How old is the house?...and was the crack there before the carpet went down?

Old 05-18-05, 09:02 AM
M
ok

yes the crack does appear to have stopped moving. The house is 37 years old and we just purchased it so I'm not sure if it was there before the previous owners carpeted. Based on the quality of other things, I suspect they didn't do it because of concern but rather cost.

You mentioned "floating" flooring. Is that laminate wood flooring what you mean? What other types of floats are there?

Old 05-18-05, 03:30 PM
T
I use this over cracks in concrete all the time with tile, works great, place it over the crack or do the whole floor, then use a good modified thinset and tile away.

http://www.tile-stonetools.com/Crack_Tile.asp

There are others, such as Noble and Schluter products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: