Water damage

Old 06-02-05, 05:27 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water damage

I am helping a friend repair water damage, caused by a toilet tank that didn't shut off. I have pulled up the carpet in the dining room and thrown away the pad, then pulled the baseboard off and drilled 1" holes through the sheetrock, for air circulation. The house has a slab floor and where the carpet is glued to the concrete I pulled the baseboard loose, and the sheetrock was only damp, on the bottom 1/2", in a few places so I didn't drill any holes. After everything is completely dry I'll treat with a fungicide and re-install the base board and have the carpet re installed. Would this be the correct approach? Anything I left out?
While doing all of this I noticed that the tiled shower had been leaking through the wall in the hallway as well as the garage. The wall in the hallway has been repaired before but the leaking shower problem has not been addressed. The house was built 30 years ago and this has been a constant problem the past 6 to 8 years. I guess I'll take out the sheetrock on the oposite shower walls and see how much of a problem I'll be looking at. Maybe get back with my findings, then. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-05, 07:36 AM
My understanding is that sheetrock should NOT be used in a shower surround.

My shower had been repaired numerous times by previous owners with sheetrock fixes and every time failed.
I gutted and am currently finishing a cement board with tile installation.

Reccommend the same.

Old 06-02-05, 09:17 AM
G
JPicasso, Thanks for your reply. However, I haven't gotten into the shower problem yet. My immediate question is about drying the walls in preperation for re-laying the carpet. Thanks

Old 06-02-05, 11:59 AM
T
Originally Posted by gtsayers
My immediate question is about drying the walls in preperation for re-laying the carpet. Thanks
Why don't you post in the walls and ceilings forum for this. Normally, we just tear walls out. You might get surer advice there.
Originally Posted by gtsayers
JPicasso, Thanks for your reply. However, I haven't gotten into the shower problem yet.
Come back here to diagnose the shower problem once you open the wall up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: