Level Subfloor

Old 06-09-05, 06:31 PM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Level Subfloor

I have an old house (100+years I just found out). I'm pulling up the original floor and would like to tile a large area (15x18) with ceramic.

However, two joists in particular are out of level with the others (one is cupped upward, the other lower).

What should I do to prepare this floor? I had planed to go to the original 1" planking, then put 3/4" plywood on top. These joists aren't crazy, but I remember reading that ceramic has to be 100% level to be installed.

I did a search of this forum and couldn't find anything (even though I'm sure it's here).

Old 06-11-05, 04:22 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flat is the word, not level. What is the size, spacing and span of the joists? You can use 1/2" ply over the planks, then 1/4" cement board, then self leveler over that, since you can feather edge slc's over bcu, but not over ply. Will give you a better bonding surface as well. First that structure info needs to be checked out.

Old 06-11-05, 04:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The floor has to be flat, not level, how bad is it when you place a straight edge over it in the problem area?

If real bad, you can remove the subfloor down to the joists, sister the lower one with a straight one and shave down the one that's up too far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: