Subfloor Goof

Old 06-15-05, 07:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subfloor Goof

I know it is a nono to set tile over osb but what could happen? I have 3/4 T&G osb over 2x12's 16 oc and then 1/2 " osb over that. I forgot my plan and now there is no room under steel ext door for tile. I bought the 1/4 hardi board and the tile already. I set a piece of backer and a tile(both dry) in front of the door and it scrapes when opened. I'm thinking of just laying the tile w/o backer board. The basement below will be heated and it is just a sitting room so what could happen? Is there something I can coat the osb with to make it more suitable to accept tile without the backer board(off the record)?

Old 06-15-05, 08:09 PM
Can the 1/2" osb come out? If so you may luck out and get by with putting the1/4" cement board down.
The osb may break down just enough for the tile to come loose and the grout will crack. If your mind is made up go with a latex modified thinset, the more expensive the better ( has more latex in it) and you might end up being the 1% who gets by, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Old 06-16-05, 03:15 AM
T
DO NOT tile directly on the OSB whatever you do, take out the 1/2" or go with a sheet membrane over the 1/2" to cut the height down.

Old 06-16-05, 06:46 AM
B
OK I'm leaning toward the latex modified thinset but what is the (sheet membrane) and where do I get it---would home depot sell it---how thick is it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: