Labor costs for a bathroom tile job

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-05, 01:06 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
Labor costs for a bathroom tile job

I have recently launched a part-time handyman business in the northeast. The work is increasing but also the variety of work as well. I have a bathroom re-tile job to estimate and I was wondering how to determine a fair price for the customer. I have been charging 20-25 an hour plus supplies for other jobs. If I use a flat rate and estimate the time to do each portion of the job, and roll in the stock with a 5% markup would that be realistic? Iím still new at this so Iím still trying to fine the right labor rate to attract growth but also turn a profit. Any advise would be appreciated.

George the Handyman

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 05:45 PM
califb
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Labman
I have recently launched a part-time handyman business in the northeast. The work is increasing but also the variety of work as well. I have a bathroom re-tile job to estimate and I was wondering how to determine a fair price for the customer. I have been charging 20-25 an hour plus supplies for other jobs. If I use a flat rate and estimate the time to do each portion of the job, and roll in the stock with a 5% markup would that be realistic? Iím still new at this so Iím still trying to fine the right labor rate to attract growth but also turn a profit. Any advise would be appreciated.

George the Handyman
I have a good friend who's a tile contractor and he charges a certain amount (for example $5 or $3) per square foot of tile to be installed. This amount does not include the cost of the tile and varies depending on the type and size of tile he is installing, whether it is on a floor, wall, or counter top, what type of cuts or special design layout he has to make. Removing the existing flooring is extra.

Old 07-01-05, 09:29 PM
Labman
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info

Old 01-10-12, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I realize this is an older post, however people still stumble upon it as I did during searches. I can't resist answering as this is a very common question, based on a faulty premise.
The easy way to answer it in almost any State is to rephrase the question to "How much am I worth" then double it. This means $50.00 per hour (preferably worked out ahead of time for a fixed rate proposal) Show me a person charging only what they are worth in this case $25.00 and I will show you someone that cant replace stolen tools, blown transmissions or motors, pay for General Liability Insurance, Afford a lawyer when you get sued for doing nothing wrong, cover bad checks when you have a couple thousand in materials etc.
In California where I live, licensed or un-licensed (with insurance in both cases) a one man shop that charges any less that $59.00 an hour is digging a hole they will never climb out of. With one employee and associated taxes etc that number is $79.00
Just my Two Cents
Cheers

Closed Thread