Making larger hole in tile for toilet flange

Old 06-29-05, 11:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Making larger hole in tile for toilet flange

I am in the process of adding a bathroom to my cottage and just laid the tile on the floor this past weekend. I cut the hole in the middle of a 12 inch tile for the toilet flange and it looked pretty good until I realized that there is a bevel on the bottom side of the flange so now the flange won't fit past the tile and lay flat. Can I somehow grind the tile with a normal grinder or Dremmel tool without chipping the tile. I have to make it about 1/2 inch larger diameter. Also, can I drill through the tile with a carbide drill bit to make a clearence hole for the flange bolts?

Old 06-29-05, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have cut tiles with a regular grinder and my Dremel. I am not a tile expert though so watch this post for their input.
I answered in regards to the holes you want to drill. Are they to hold down the flange to the floor? I would use a masonary bit and be careful and go slow. What is your subfloor? If it is wood, you can anchor it with wood screws. If concrete, you'll need Tapcons with the proper size bit for installing them. When you said "Flange bolts" I wondered if you were referring to the ones that hold the toilet bowl to the flange. Clearance is built into the flange for these. Good luck on your project.

Old 06-29-05, 01:53 PM
Trace the outline of the flange with a pencil on the tile then cut the outline 1/4" bigger using the grinder equipped with a continuous rim diamond blade. Put the tile on an old rug or a pile of sand, something that will absorb most of the vibration and reduces chances of tile cracking. Make one pass to score the cut line then make 5 or 6 more to get through the tile. Dont press too hard or it will crack. Let the weight of the grinder do the work.

Old 06-30-05, 11:04 AM
B
Thanks for your responses. Under the tile is a wood floor so my plan is to screw the flange down to the floor using wood screws. I was just wondering if I used a mortar bit for the holes if it would crack the tile.

Tileguybob, the tile is already cemented to the floor so I have to enlarge the hole by grinding it or some other means.

Old 06-30-05, 02:51 PM
Use the drill bit on a real s l o w speed and keep squirting water on the bit and the hole with an eyedropper. As far as the tile being in place already, you can still mark up the outline for the flange and cut it with the grinder, if you have real good coverage with your thinset the tile should not vibrate at all, still do the multiple passes.

Old 07-01-05, 10:46 AM
B
Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: