Chipped Kitchen sink and tile counter

Old 06-30-05, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Chipped Kitchen sink and tile counter

Kitchen has old, what looks like iron sink. Someone has already tried to cover chips up with what looks like touch up paint. Other than paying someone to come out and regalze it, is there another way to make it look better? It's set in tile, so I can figure out why owner didn't replace it. Speaking of tile, while cleaning the grout with a toothbrush I found that some kind of filler was used that dissolves under water it has a powdery texture to it when dry. Can this be removed and touched up with some other product that won't dissolve, or am I going to have to chip out the grout and regrout? This is truly becoming a nightmare. Help!!
Old 07-01-05, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 63
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For your sink: real reporcelaining or powder coating would both require removal (to etch/sandblast, patch, prep, apply bond, apply prime, apply coat, etc, bake). "reglazing" which typically means some sort of epoxy-based paint, could be done in place, and could potentially be a diy project if you can find the right product. You'll need more than just the "paint" - some sort of sanding/etching, then probably a bonder/primer coat. And you might need a heat gun to activate the epoxy once applied.

If it were me, a fellow diy'er, I'd just hire a pro to install a new sink (or do it myself). Why? The results of a diy reglaze probably won't be to your liking, although there may be better products available now than when I last looked. Plus, the cost of any type of professional refinishing may exceed the cost of a new sink!! So all you'd really be paying for with a new sink is the labor.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: