hairline cracks in tile floor

Old 07-05-05, 07:54 AM
spywryder
Visiting Guest
hairline cracks in tile floor

I guess I have a bunch of questions, but I think I can sum them up by saying...what are my options if I have a number of 12x12 floor tiles with hairline cracks? Most are isolated because they were impact-related. However, I recently noticed a new crack in my kitchen which currently spans about 4-5 tiles, which I suppose may have something to do with the concrete underneath from what I have read. Must I replace them all and if I don't is there something I should do to protect the cracked areas? Also, the one in the kitchen that is "creeping"...can I do anything to keep it from getting worse?

Any advice would be appreciated as I think we will be selling our house this year and I want to do the right thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all do you have replacement tiles for all of the cracked ones? To remove a cracked tile you will have to remove the grout surrounding it on all four sides then hit it in the middle of the tile with a chisel and hammer to widen the crack. Work a stiff putty knife or similar tool into and under the crack working from the middle of the tile outward so you dont chip a good neighboring tile. Clean out the debris, wear gloves, and scrape the floor smooth so the new tile will not rock on a leftover high spot.

The long crack you mentioned is probably a crack in the cement slab that transferred up through the tile. It is a cement slab under the tile, right? And you said it seems to be growing, in width or in length? Those tile will have to come out too but we need more info on this crack first.

Old 07-07-05, 10:08 PM
spywryder
Visiting Guest
answers to questions.

I don't have enough replacement tiles. They left, maybe 4-5 with the house, but if I want to fix ALL the damage I think I will need about 7-8. That is one of the reasons I was hoping there was a solution other than replacing them all. They did, however, leave the tiles in the box they came in, so at least I know who made them and can check to see if they still make the same color.

To answer your question about the creeping crack, it appears to be growing in length, but not width. Yes, to my knowledge, it is a cement slab under the tile...I can check with my builder to make sure.

It is my understanding that even if we replace the tiles for the creeping crack, that if there is cracking of the slab, the new ones will also crack. Is that right?

Thanks tileguy...

Old 07-08-05, 03:35 PM
If the crack is in the slab, all the tile on it will have to be removed, a membrane installed, then you can retile.

If the crack isn't even on both sides when you finally get to inspect it, one side higher than the other, you can not tile this floor, no membrane will help with that.

Old 07-09-05, 10:20 PM
spywryder
Visiting Guest
oh no

all the tile on the floor, or just the tile over the crack?

also...can you explain what you mean by "higher on one side"? How could it be "higher"?

Old 07-10-05, 05:04 PM
You will have to remove at least a ft. from the crack on each side of it.

Is the crack even on both sides, same height? or is one side of the floor raised higher than the other?

Old 07-10-05, 09:17 PM
spywryder
Visiting Guest
one more question

you know..I figured out what you meant about 10 minutes after I left the computer...duh.

thanks for the info. I guess there is no way to avoid replacing them.

are you a professional tile person? if you are or aren't do you have any guidelines on what this ought to cost?

Assuming there is a crack in the slab and according to your suggestion...that would be about 17 tiles in the kitchen. plus a few more individual cracks I have in other rooms...maybe about 25 total?

Laminate flooring is starting to sound better and better. . .

Old 07-11-05, 02:49 PM
Seeing you don't have enough replacment tile, I would just tear it all up, inspect the floor and go from there, hard to say how much this would cost, would have to see it, but demoing old tile can cost about 2 to $3 a ft.

Old 07-12-05, 09:20 PM
spywryder
Visiting Guest
thank you

thanks for the advice...we'll have a go and see what turns up.