Painting on existing ceramic tile floors

Old 04-15-00, 09:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Is it possible to change the color of a border on the kitchen and breakfast room ceramic tile floors? The border is blue and I would like to change it to Hunter Green. Can this be painted? Would it wear off? The areas are under a table and around an island.

Old 04-16-00, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi this Gary,
Your tile can easily be changed to the color of your preference. The biggest concern for coating tile is (bonding). I have seen many people suggest sanding the tile prior or even acid etching with muriatic acid. They suggest this for they are trying to achieve a mechanical bond. As with any paint or coatings you must have 3 variables for a good bond. They are 1. Clean 2.Dry 3. Dull.
You can achieve this by doing the following:
Clean the tile using a small amount of TSP(Trisodium Phosphate) Can be purchased at any home center for a couple $$$. Mix as prescibed on the box and scrubb tile using TSP and a Scotch Brite Pad. This will degrease the surface. Now Go to any HOBBY store in your area and purchase(GLASS ETCHING CREAM) Armour Etch is the one I use. It is formulated just right. Apply a light coat over the tile and let sit for only a few minutes. NO MORE THEN 5 MINUTES. If you let is sit too long it will make the tile too porous. Wipe a solution of baking soda and water. This will neutralize the Surface from any acidic residue. Then rinse with water and towel dry. The surface will now dry to a dull chalk board like smooth surface. Basically you just deglossed the tile. Now that it is clean,dry, and dull, you may either spray a acrylic polymer coating in a coating of your choice or use a URETHANE ROLLER TO APPLY the coating. Pittsburg Paints makes an excellent
aliphatic acrylic urethane Known as Pitthaine. It can be tinted to Hunter Green and after applied will dry to the most shiny tile like surface. Visit PPG.com the parent company to find a dealer near you.
Gary Goel
Moderator/Doityourself.com

quote:<HR>Originally posted by pookapocka:
Is it possible to change the color of a border on the kitchen and breakfast room ceramic tile floors? The border is blue and I would like to change it to Hunter Green. Can this be painted? Would it wear off? The areas are under a table and around an island.<HR>

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
gary@newkote.com

Old 08-29-10, 01:54 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy paint floor tiles, large area

We have a light grey color thru our kitchen,bathroom, and hallway. I have always hated the color. How hard a job to paint all this? We have only had it down for 2 years so I cant afford to replace it. Can this be painted over. Thank you, upstateny

Old 08-30-10, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't paint the tile. They make a tub and tile paint but it has a high failure rate Even if you can get a good paint bond on the tile - it would likely wear off in short order and would also scratch easily

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: