tile over 2 sheets of vinyl

Old 05-23-00, 09:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm debating whether or not to install kitchen tile (12 x 12) over an existing concrete slab which happens to have 2 sheets of vinyl over it. I have inspected both layers of vinyl and both are glued down completely and not just around the edge. The original (first layer) is 20 yrs old. Both layers appear to be well stuck. My question is, what is the negatives of doing this if I do decide to tile over the vinyl. And if I do proceed, what preparation and material should be taken to maximize my success?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-00, 02:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Bit of a sticky wicket either way.

You actually would prefer that the existing vinyl would be in poor shape and maybe only have a glued edge and then it would be easy. Rip out everything clean slab. Set new tile.

Going over vinyl sheet get floor very clean.

Dull sheet vinyl with steel wool pad to remove all shine. Or use a very fine grade of sandpaper, like 1200 grit with a light touch to remove the surface film.

Then super clean with soap and water.
The cleaner the better.

Set vinyl tile.

If the sheet vinyl is in excellent shape this may actually give a better and smoother surface that the slab.

Thin vinyl tiles tend to telegraph every small imperfection in the concrete slab.

The rip off option is straight forward, remove existing vinyl, clean slab, set vinyl.
Can be a super amount of work, difficult to get slab clean and smooth.

One choice is to use self stick tiles or not.

I have had some jobs go smooth and others the self stick pop. My usually solution was use the self stick and where problems cropped up uses a thin coat tile mastic to reset the problem ones.

Problem areas tend to be in floor areas where it got little traffic. Like along the edges. The edges tend to curl as the layers build up. May want to use both the thin coat of mastic and self stick along the edges.

The key to a good tile job is knowing how to set up your starting reference lines, where to start and general planning of the layout.

A lot of home centers have little free mini courses on how to do this.