Putting ceramic tile over new vinyl flooring.

Old 06-24-00, 07:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a brand new vinyl floor in my kitchen. I would like to install ceramic tile over top of the existing vinyl. Can this be done effectively?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-00, 06:08 PM
Visiting Guest
The tile is only as good as the surface is prepared. While there are products that will adhere to the surface I would suggest that since your existing floor is new I would assume it would be easier to remove. If you are doing yourself then you are already saving lots of money. Remove the floor and tile it right.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim&Deb:
I have a brand new vinyl floor in my kitchen. I would like to install ceramic tile over top of the existing vinyl. Can this be done effectively?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-27-00, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Can I put a ceramic tile floor over old (about 40 years old) 9X9 asphalt tile? It has no gloss and is level in the living room. What type adhesive would be best? What can I use to level the spots in the dining room where some of the tile is nicked off or missing? (I've tried to remove the old tile in the dining rm. so I could restore the wood floor underneath, but the tar-like adhesive seems impossible to remove, so I've given up on that angle.) Linda [email protected]