whats the news on ceramic tile?

Old 07-02-00, 11:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I am interested in putting ceramic tile down in my kitchen. What is the difficulty level of doing this tasks? How many steps are there to it? Is it a hard thing to accomplish?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-00, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Putting down ceramic tile is not difficult . It can be time consuming and labor intensive. First, does your floor deflect any. The Ceramic Tile Institute recommends deflection not to exceed 1/360 on the room span. Deflection is why tile cracks. If it deflects , put additional support under your joists. Thinset is spread on the floor and a cement board is then laid in the thinset and nailed or screwed down with nails or screws on 8" centers. I use 4" centers aropund the edges. I personally nail with 2" galv. roofing nails. After the cement board is installed, you need to finish the joints with cement board tape and thinset. Then take the rest of the day off. The next morning, lay out the tile pattern you want. I find it easier to start laying tile in a corner of the room. Strike a line for the first row of tile. Spread thinset using a notched troweland lay you tile in it. Give each tile a twist to set it in the thinset. Keep your grout lines straight. After all tile is laid, take the rest of the day off. The next morning mix your grout and spread it using a grout float. Have plenty of clean water handy. After 10-15 minutes, use a damp sponge to wipe the excess grout off. Let it dry approx. 1 hr. and then polish it with a clean cloth (towel) to remove any haze.

If you don't have them I would suggest renting a wet saw and a tile cutter.