remove and repair cracked ceramic floor tile

Old 07-03-00, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My ceramic kitchen floor has a crack which extends for approx. 6 feet. As far as I can tell, the plywood subflooring panels meet together at the point directly beneath the crack which may be the cause. I would like to repair this isolated area.
1) can the cracked tiles be removed; what is the best way to do this; and how many rows would have to be removed?
2) if the subfloor is the cause, what should be done to remedy that problem?

Thank you for your help.
whalenm

[This message has been edited by whalenm (edited July 04, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-00, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
That's a long crack. I think the problem might be in the foudation. Have that looked at first. You can remove the old tiles by cutting an x across them with a tile saw then use a grout saw to cut in the grout. Hit the center of tile with a hammer and it should break of so that you can clean up each area a little at a time. I would be more concerned with matching the tile.
If it was me I would take all the old tile up. Put down some wonder board with screws and retile.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whalenm:
My ceramic kitchen floor has a crack which extends for approx. 6 feet. As far as I can tell, the plywood subflooring panels meet together at the point directly beneath the crack which may be the cause. I would like to repair this isolated area.
1) can the cracked tiles be removed; what is the best way to do this; and how many rows would have to be removed?
2) if the subfloor is the cause, what should be done to remedy that problem?

Thank you for your help.
whalenm

[This message has been edited by whalenm (edited July 04, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>