ceramic tile

Old 07-18-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I would like to know if you think that laying ceramic tiles is somethingyou could do yourself? What would the average cost on laying the tiles.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes it is something I could do myself. In fact, I just did it for the first time on Sunday. It was pretty easy for someone who takes the time to learn how to do it (Home Depot holds classes, and library books explain it well). You also need a good attention to detail.

But you probably want to know whether you can do it, not whether I can do it. I don't know you that well.

Old 07-19-00, 03:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Laying ceramic tile is fairly easy. You do need some specialized tools thant most rental centers have. A tile cutter is essential and I consider a wet saw almost essential. The wet saw is expensive(a good one costs $500-900. A tile cutter is $20-35. The other tools are fairly inexpensive. Get a good book on tiling at your local home center and read it thoroughly. One more point, If you are laying tile on the floor, be prepared to kneel a lot. You don't see any old tilelayers without bad knees and I am no exception.

Old 07-19-00, 05:38 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leona:
I would like to know if you think that laying ceramic tiles is somethingyou could do yourself? What would the average cost on laying the tiles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know of a website that may be useful to you.Go to www.customtile.cc and ask the tile man.

Old 07-20-00, 07:51 AM
Visiting Guest
If you're doing a small job, you need neither a tile cutter nor a wet saw. Lay all the full tiles. Mark all the tiles you need cut. Takes them back to Home Depot and have them cut them for you on their wet saw. They'll charge 50 cents a cut, but it will probably be cheaper than the rental.