Hardibacker board & thinset

Old 07-17-00, 07:21 PM
Visiting Guest
I've been told by my local reputable flooring dealer that I don't need to apply thinset between the OSB subfloor and my 1/4" Hardibacker board. He suggested that I nail down the hardibacker, then use thinset for the tiles. (Hardibacker board takes the place of cement board and is much more uniform.) He said that the only tiling job where he used thinset under the hardibacker now has cracked tile. Other jobs done without thinset under hardibacker are ok.

Any comments? Has anyone had similar experience?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by ksteiner (edited July 18, 2000).]

Old 07-20-00, 02:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Why not do it right? I'd need a really good reason to go against the manufacturer's recommendations. Hardibacker themselves says use mortar. Check it out at http://www.hardibacker.com/hardibackerinstall.htm

Why take the chance to save pocket change and a little bit of time? I'd find it really hard to believe that the thinset caused the cracked tile!

Old 07-20-00, 02:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I put down a lot of ceramic tile and I always use thinset under the backerboard. Use a 1/4' knotched trowel to apply the thinset and then nail or screw the backerboard down. I believe the jobs your dealer was talking about were due to inadequate coverage of thinset to the backerboard or to the tile. The tile must have a sturdy base and not flex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: