ceramic tile

Old 07-26-00, 10:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

When putting down ceramic tiles do you need to use wire mesh then some sort of cement? I am spending the money on ceramic because I hope it will be for a long time.But really concerned about the diffrent ways Iam being told on how to lay the tiles,from what are suppose to be contracters HELP!!!THANXS

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-00, 08:34 AM
Visiting Guest
What kind of surface are you laying the tiles on? Are they wall tiles or floor tiles? Is there a moisture problem with the subfloor?

Normally wire mesh isn't required, but you may have some special problems with your current surface.

Old 07-27-00, 09:57 PM
Visiting Guest
If you're doing floor tile on a slab, and it's an even surface you should be good to go. If you are over a basement, crawl space or second floor you need subflooring - a good cement board will do the job. We thin set AND nail it down. Screws can tend to work their way up. My husband has been doing ceramic tile/marble for 18 years, commercial and residential, and I couldn't name a handful of jobs he's ever used wire on. Shouldn't be needed for general/basic installation.

Old 07-28-00, 09:39 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
What kind of surface are you laying the tiles on? Are they wall tiles or floor tiles? Is there a moisture problem with the subfloor?

Normally wire mesh isn't required, but you may have some special problems with your current surface.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Iam tiling the kitchen,hallway,and front entrance.The hallway has carpet I realise the carpet will have to be removed, and has to come up a 1/4 inch to meet the kitchen.The kitchen has self-adhesive tiles,when the heat is on or the sun hits then they will lift up.So the tiles will have to be removed also, under the tiles they is a sub floor.We dont have a moisture problem.Please help with the preparation because I keep getting different opinions on this matter,from the contractors.Thanxs Leona.

Old 07-31-00, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leona:
When putting down ceramic tiles do you need to use wire mesh then some sort of cement? I am spending the money on ceramic because I hope it will be for a long time.But really concerned about the diffrent ways Iam being told on how to lay the tiles,from what are suppose to be contracters HELP!!!THANXS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello I know who can help
Go to www.askthetileman.com