REPLACING 1000 SQ. FT. OF CERAMIC TILE WITH NEW

Old 07-31-00, 11:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I HAVE JUST REMOVED A LOT OF CERAMIC TILE FROM MY CONDO FLOOR. AND HAVE DISCOVERED A PARTIALLY DETERIORATED LAYER OF 5/8" CEMENT WONDERBOARD WHICH IS SCREWED TO A 3/4" PLYWOOD FLOOR. MY QUESTIONS ARE THESE: 1)CAN I SAVE A LOT OF TIME AND A LITTLE MONEY BY FILLING IN THE DETERIORATED AREAS WITH THINSET? 2)IF I DO THIS HOW CAN I REMOVE THE OLD THINSET AND GROUT AND NOT DAMAGE THE REMAINING WONDERBOARD? 3)AND AM I FOOLISH NOT TO SIMPLY TEAR UP ALL THE OLD WONDERBOARD AND REPLACE IT WITH NEW (THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE LOT MORE WORK THAN I HAD BARGAINED FOR)?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-00, 11:56 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I HAVE JUST REMOVED A LOT OF CERAMIC TILE FROM MY CONDO FLOOR. AND HAVE DISCOVERED A PARTIALLY DETERIORATED LAYER OF 5/8" CEMENT WONDERBOARD WHICH IS SCREWED TO A 3/4" PLYWOOD FLOOR. MY QUESTIONS ARE THESE: 1)CAN I SAVE A LOT OF TIME AND A LITTLE MONEY BY FILLING IN THE DETERIORATED AREAS WITH THINSET? 2)IF I DO THIS HOW CAN I REMOVE THE OLD THINSET AND GROUT AND NOT DAMAGE THE REMAINING WONDERBOARD? 3)AND AM I FOOLISH NOT TO SIMPLY TEAR UP ALL THE OLD WONDERBOARD AND REPLACE IT WITH NEW (THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE LOT MORE WORK THAN I HAD BARGAINED FOR)? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the job right. I would redo the wonderboard to, beacause (get more info at www.askthetileman.com

Old 07-31-00, 04:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Replace the wonderboard. Yes, sometimes you get more then you bargined for. But now you have opened the bees nest, clean it up. Good Luck

Old 08-01-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm sure you're assessing whether or not you're up to following besmart's and Jack's advice. But only you can judge the extent of the damage to the wonderboard. Only you know how much thinset and grout there is to remove. Only you know how long you expect the new floor to last. Only you know your tolerance for work and cost and risk.

Check to see if there is mortar between the wonderboard and the subfloor -- this could affect how big this job is.

I'd use a long-handled scraper to remove the extra thinset (which you may need to do whether or not you remove the wonderboard). I'd use the same scraper I use to remove ice from my driveway, but they probably make a scraper just for this.

Experiment a bit. And let us know what you decide and how it turned out.