ceramic tile kitchen counters

Old 10-21-00, 06:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I,m trying to put new tile on my countertops in kitchen. Can I put 1/4" plywood then wonder board over existing tile. The reason for the question is because my current 4" ceramic tile is bonded by contact cement for some crazy reason and won't chisel out. Suggestions for laying new tile over existing. What steps do I need to take to do this?

Old 10-23-00, 03:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

ddcscorbin;
This is a tough area. First of all skip the 1/4" plywood and go straight for the concrete backer board.(they do sell 1/4" board)This is what I would do; first rough up the surface of the existing tile with some 40 grit sandpaper.(preferably with a belt sander) then buy some "latex modified" thin-set (mix according to instructions)then mortar the board to the existing tile with a 3/16" V-notched trowel. Then get a masonary bit and drill every 6" or so through the backer board and through the tile but, not into the wood under the tile(you could actually pre-drill everything before you put down the mortar just make sure to put the board back in the same position to line up the holes.) Then srew it down with 1" or 1 1/4" Gavanized deck screws. Then tape and mortar all your joints and re-tile your counters. The reason I say to skip the plywood is thats just something else that could rot under the backer board and then you may have a big mess! (it may not rot but, I wouldnt bet on it) also if you read the back of the thin-set bag you will probably see that Tile over tile is a suitable substrate provided that ALL the existing tile is sound (which it sounds like it is) This is another option for you if ALL the tile is stuck down GOOD!!! Use a 1/4" square notched trowel and go tile over tile.(make sure you rough up the surface of the existing tile) Good luck and if you have any other questions I would be happy to help you can contact me through my website at: www.gatelytilecompany.homestead.com anytime!
Always wear eye and ear protection as well as gloves and a dust mask whenever you are doing tile work Thanks ...Rich (tileman1)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: