Toilets Again!!

Old 10-22-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Everyone,

You guys were such a help when it came to laying my laminate flooring that I come again to ask about my tiles in my bathroom.

Is it possible to tile around the toilet instead of lifting and removing the toilet. I am very afraid of lifting my toilet as I have no ideas the workings of plumbing.

If I tile around my toilet, what are the possible repercussions?

Please help!!! Thanks so much!

Old 10-22-00, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Dear Renovated Out,

Do NOT tile around your toilet, and do not despair. Picking up and re-setting a toilet is not hard at all. The toilet is heavy though, and you may need help lifting it.

There are two drawbacks to not removing the toilet: First, you will one day want to replace the toilet, and no two models have the same base configuration. Second, the tile job will look tacky and unprofessional. The tiles simply must go under the toilet.

There are two mounting bolts, one on each side. Remove the nuts on these and disconnect the water supply (After turning off the water at the wall).

The toilet will now lift out. Scrape most of the old wax seal from the bottom, and remove any old caulking that might be around the edge of the base.

Tile within about a quarter inch of the drain flange on the floor.

We re-set the toilet before we grout. This provides an attractive grout line around the base of the toilet and also keeps the toilet from rocking once the grout has set.

Install new bolts into the flange and use a new wax seal when you reinstall the toilet. If your tile is thick, you may have to use two seals to compensate for increased height of the toilet from the flange.

See, nothing to it.

John

Old 10-22-00, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply!!! You make it sound so simple, hmmm maybe I may have to dig deep in my pocket and hire someone. Just kidding. But I am also wondering, the toilet is also full of water. I have removed the tank but the remaining water did not flush, so now it is just sitting there, hence the question can we tile around the toilet. Do you know a way of flushing the toilet or am I resorting to a bail bucket?

This is beginning to sound less and less appealing, maybe the toilet will never change, and will remain in the house until it crumbles LOL

Old 10-22-00, 11:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

You are supposed to flush the toilet after cutting off the water to get rid of most of it, but if you didn't, just towel or sponge it out into a bucket. Gently lay the empty toilet, tank and all, over on its side on a piece of carpet or towels(careful, porcelain breaks easily).
Also, stuff an old rag or hand towel into the open drain after you remove the toilet to prevent sewer gas from leaking into the room while you work.
Now, just follow John's directions. Good Luck!

Old 10-23-00, 06:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Old Guy. We usually use a sponge to get the water out of the bowl. Wear rubber gloves if it bothers you. I swear, if you tile that toilet in, I'm going to find out where you live, come up there, and tell all your neighbors you did it!

John

Old 11-04-00, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi John,

After that threat, I pulled out my rubber gloves and emptied that toilet, and got sick a few times along the way, but I swear to you the toilet has been removed!!!! And we will tile around it before putting the toilet back on. By the way the tiles look great. Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-04-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Good on you, Renovated. Before you know it, you'll be back over here advising other folks on how to do the job.

Hasta la vista,

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: